Breastfeeding Your Baby
Because breastfeeding directly contributes to improved health of mothers and babies, Frisbie Memorial Hospital provides free breastfeeding education opportunities for pregnant moms and their partners, and also support and guidance to new parents who wish to breastfeed their newborn.
Our clinical staff is specially trained to provide breastfeeding support and encouragement before, during and after hospitalization, both in person and over the phone. For more information about breastfeeding, download An Easy Guide to Breastfeeding.
Free Breastfeeding Classes/Resources
Breastfeeding & Newborn Care
In this class, you will learn:
- The benefits of breastfeeding for Mom and Baby
- The process of lactation
- The positions to optimize breastfeeding
- The common problems with breastfeeding and their solutions
- How to use a breast pump
Pediatricians and/or family medicine providers will discuss how to adjust to parenthood, sleeping positions for baby, circumcision, and provide baby care tips. We will listen to your concerns and answer your questions! Fathers are encouraged to attend. Classes FREE and are located at the Community Education & Conference Center from 2:30-4:00pm. Registration is required, and can be made by calling (603) 335-8180.
Breastfeeding Hands-On Class
Class topics covered include:
- Breastfeeding in the early weeks
- Feeding cues and skin-skin
- Techniques for successful breastfeeding
- Common breastfeeding challenges
- Breaking down barriers/myths
- Positioning and latch
- Breastfeeding resources
Class is FREE, and held on Wednesdays from 1:00-3:30pm at Frisbie's Community Education & Conference Center. Registration is required and can be made by calling (603) 335-8180
Newborn Baby and Moms Group
This group meets weekly every Wednesday from 10am to 11:30am at Frisbie Memorial Hospital's Community Education and Conference Center.
- Our goal is to provide continuing support, encouragement, and advice to new moms of newborn babies (up to 8 months of age). A board certified Lactation Consultant/RN is present to answer your questions.
- Each session begins with a brief introduction and discussion topics may include breastfeeding problems/concerns, newborn care, coping strategies, and more. Pregnant moms are also invited to attend. Moms with toddlers are encouraged to bring quiet toys/books for their child's entertainment.
- Guest speakers and topics will include:
- - Experienced Moms: Discussion on Transition to Parenthood
- - Mom to Mom Breastfeeding Support
- - Pediatrician: Newborn Care
- - Physiotherapist: Newborn Development
- - Dietitian: Introducing Solids, Meal Recipes
- - Dental Hygienist: Oral Care
- There is no cost to attend. No registration required. For more information, call (603) 335-8180.
- for updates and cancellations please refer to Frisbie's Facebook page. Like us on Facebook!