Childbirth Education Program
At Frisbie Memorial Hospital, we understand that caring for you and your baby goes beyond just the birth itself. That's why we provide extensive support before, during and after your baby is born, including comprehensive prenatal education, HypnoBirthing classes and a mom-to-mom support group.
Whether you are a first-time or an experienced mom, Frisbie Memorial offers a variety of childbirth classes that will help you and your family prepare for the birth of your child. Please download our 2014 class listings flyer.
Our specially-trained childbirth educators are dedicated to bringing quality maternal education to moms. We offer a range of prenatal and postpartum education programs.
Prepared Childbirth Series (six-week series)
This six-week series helps expectant parents through the stages of pregnancy, labor, birth, newborn care and after discharge care. Plan to start the series around the 16-22 week of pregnancy. Classes are held at the Community Education & Conference Center from 6-8pm. The cost of the 6-week Prepared Childbirth Series is $60 for parents delivering at Frisbie Memorial, and $80 per couple for all others.
First two classes: You will learn:
The remaining four classes: You will learn:
- health tips
- preparing for breastfeeding
- relaxation techniques.
- breathing techniques
- the labor and birth process
- newborn care
- after discharge care
HypnoBirthing Classes (6-week class)
Frisbie Memorial was one of the first hospitals in New England to offer HypnoBirthing classes. HypnoBirthing is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth using self-hypnosis techniques. This allows women to experience a safer, easier, and more comfortable birthing experience. In six classes, you will learn relaxation and self-hypnosis techniques to:
- Eliminate the fear-tension syndrome before, during, and after giving birth
- Eliminate, or greatly reduce, the need for pain medication
- Shorten the first stage of labor
- Decrease fatigue during labor
- Promote special bonding between you, your baby, and your birth companion
- Create an integral role for the birthing companion
Classes are held at the Community Education & Conference Center on Tuesdays, from 6-8pm. Registration is required. The cost of the 6-week HypnoBirthing program is $150.00
Planned Cesarean Birth Class
This class prepares mothers for a Cesarean delivery. This one-time class may be taken in conjuction with the Prepared Childbirth Class. In this class, you will:
- Learn how to prepare for surgery
- Learn about anesthesia options
- Learn about your partner's role
- Learn relaxation techniques
- Learn what to expect before, during, and after surgery
Classes held at the Community Education & Conference Center on Thursdays, from 6-8pm. Registration is required. The cost for the 6-week Planned Cesarean Birth Class is $20.00.
Frisbie Memorial Hospital offers educational classes for after the birth of your child.
Breastfeeding & Newborn Care
In this class, you will learn about:
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- The positions to optimize breastfeeding
- The common problems with breastfeeding and their solutions
- Caring for your newborn
Pediatricians and/or family medicine providers will discuss how to adjust to parenthood, sleeping positions for baby, circumcision, and provide baby care tips. We will listen to your concerns and answer your questions! Classes FREE and are located at the Community Education & Conference Center from 1-3pm on the following dates.